Friday, August 24, 2007

25 Year Anniversery

How does one choose a pivotal moment, a life changing event that rocks you to your very core of existence? Can you?
Is it possible to choose one moment that makes or breaks a person’s being and can they ever recover from that experience and go on to lead their life with true meaning after that.
Can you pick a moment in time where you would return, change the course of events, therefore changing your history or even your destiny? Would you?
Was that moment so profound that it changed the person you became or can you choose who you are regardless through strength and life’s lessons?
So many questions so few answers in life and death.
Today marks the Anniversary of such a moment 25 years ago today I lost my Dad.
25 years I can’t put this figure into perspective in my mind its way too surreal it’s so long ago and yet that moment that day, is etched into my mind like carvings in stone, which time will never erase.
There is nothing I can truly put into words that can best describe my dad, my daddy, shit this is bizarre in so many ways to try and describe a man that I put on a pedestal as the epitome of what a man is and should be. He was as loving as any person I have ever met and I have never met a man with such Love for his baby girl whom I was so very blessed to be. All though I was not of his blood, he adored me as if I was the only girl on the planet and to him I was. Everything I did was only to see his smiling eyes, to have him scoop me up in his strong arms and for him to tell me he loved me. I miss that secure feeling. I miss how I felt when he held me close to his heart.
He was gentle but strong and he wasn’t ashamed to let people know how he felt. I came first in his eyes and he in mine. I have had trouble over the years finding anyone who could measure up to the type of person he was.
Is it that just that I only remember the good times I think not? I remember being smacked once yes only once but it was a goodin and well without details I deserved it. My mum knew of my bond with my dad as did everyone. I was always on his shoulders or by his side no matter where we were, that was my spot and I thought I couldn't get any safer than right there. He even mowed the lawn with me riding along as the sweat poured down his forehead. My mum was so sure of his love for me that at 5.30 am on the 24th of August 1992 my mum woke me up with a jolt and a panic stricken look of despair on her face. Her exact words were Loo Loo I can’t wake your dad up, hop out of bed hurry he’ll wake up for you; he’s going to be late for work.
I got out of bed trying to make sense of what was happening. I was the same age as my youngest daughter is now and I went into their room to see my dad, lying in bed, looking as though he was asleep, he was warm but he didn’t open his eyes.
I got on the bed and shook him whispering for him to get up, nothing. I panicked then. I shook him I beat his chest tears rolling down my cheeks. I told him it wasn’t funny anymore and he had to get up because mum was crying and he was scaring me. He lay their motionless as I cried and punched his chest.
Needless to say my daddy didn’t even wake up for me. I went out to my mum as she looked at me with a glimmer of hope in her eyes and she asked, even though she knew the answer to her own question. I told her she had to ring Nana then took over waking up my brother telling him the news taking him in to say goodbye and explaining that dad was going to heaven to be with the angels. At seven it was difficult for him and he just couldn't grasp the gravity of the situation. We didn't have a phone back then and mum had to go down the road to the neighbors. It was the worst day of my life and for my mum a devastating blow that she has barely recovered from to this day.

His funeral was huge there were 3 greyhound buses and well over 600 hundred people at his funeral. He was a loved man by many, no more than by his family and especially me. I was his little girl, his little maggot and he was my dad.
I miss him so badly it still hurts. I know he would be very proud of his grand children and I hope of me. His memory will live on always in my heart.

So today I will light a candle in his honor as a symbol of my never ending Love until he holds me once again and I feel the security of his embrace.

9 Comments:

At 9:55 pm , Blogger ::Bek Geach:: said...

Thinking of you today, as always... but especially today my friend.

Love and hugs
Bx

 
At 11:44 pm , Blogger Isabella said...

What a touching post and so beautifully written. I have no concept of the pain of losing a parent and I try to not even imagine what it would be like. You are in my thoughts Shaz, just as you always are. Keep remembering the good times.

 
At 1:53 am , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tears running down my face as I read this gorgeous tribute to such a loving and strong man; your father. He knows all that you have done honey, and there is absolutely NO DOUBT in my mind that he has the utmost pride for you, his beautiful and soulful daughter. I am thinking of you and sending strength and love.

 
At 11:02 am , Anonymous Anonymous said...

very beautiful post, shaz. loss for words, will just send you hugz, poet.

 
At 1:42 pm , Blogger Deb R said...

Aw, Shaz, I can feel your love for your father coming through every word of this post and that tells me he felt just as much love for you. I'm so sorry you lost him too soon. Sending lots of good thoughts your way on this difficult day. {{{{{Shaz}}}}}}

 
At 12:44 pm , Blogger JP (mom) said...

So much sadness & love in these words. I'm sorry he was taken so early. Sending you love, xx, ~deb

 
At 5:27 pm , Blogger awareness said...

somehow my comments i wrote didn't materialize on your blog.....

we never know when moments which alter our lives forever will hit do we? And the strength to cope with the emotional upheaval and the adversity of it all? Where does that come from?

your words and personal deep feelings resonate with me Shaz....I'm so sorry you lost your Dad so early in your life.

 
At 10:57 pm , Blogger Rainbow dreams said...

I'm so sorry...
a beautiful post, heart wrenching, sending thoughts from me, Katiex

 
At 5:35 am , Blogger BlazngScarlet said...

Oh sweet Shaz, I understand perfectly well the questions you have about one moment in our lives that changed (literally) EVERYTHING!
I lost my Mom 28 years ago on June 1st, and I still have moments where I can't quite wrap my mind around it.
My Dad has never recovered either .... we just all move along in our lives.
It WAS a life changing, and very defining moment in my life that I can trace so many other things that happened afterwards back to.
Some were of my own making, others were not, but they all formed me into the person I am today.
Would I change it?
No. Because then I would have to give up the most important people in my life ..... my boys.
I would love the opportunity to see her again, and speak to her as the woman I am today, and not the child I was when she left me (us).

I will light a candle as well .... for you, for me, for anyone who has ever lost a loved one.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home