Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Im Home

Kathleen Mary Furness
17/6/1937 - 29/07/07




What can I say this last week has been a roller coaster ride of emotions that seems to be slowing down and slowly settling into place.
I left for the Gold Coast Sunday, the girls had school, Ben has a big work commitment this week and I was fine with going by my self, everyone was a little concerned but I assured them I would really be okay and not to worry but my son wouldn't have it, he was coming to be with his mumma and he wasn’t having it any other way.
He has always been extremely close to Peter as well I have pictures of them together when Kyle was only 7 months old. They have this really amazing relationship that I love to see in action and if I was to be completely honest I was grateful for a little support for me as well. I draw such strength from my son and I am so proud of his natural ability to keep things light but also have respect for difficult situations. Big call on one so young but he was my rock and he is such a funny kid there is always welcomed laughter so much at times I had to tell him to stop as I was in fits on the floor and its so hard to get up these days.

I arrived and cooked dinner and we talked and just tried to keep a very light atmosphere. Monday and the viewing were very much a part of what we were avoiding as far as conversation went but we laughed and talked and had a nice night, late, but nice and I actually slept rather well Pete gave me one of Kath’s nighties that still had her scent on it. I placed it over my pillow the sweet smell of her essence had such a calming effect on me and I slept like a baby. She always smelt so beautiful this was a woman who took such pride in herself and always looked stunning, even on the day of her being laid to rest my doing her makeup was so easy, as I had the perfect canvas and she just looked so beautiful I am very proud of myself.
Father Pat cane to the house Monday morning for the final arrangements and I was chosen to say a Beautiful verse at the funeral. I was the only one other than children and grand children. I feel extremely blessed and very proud to be included...
Monday was a little more stressful the enormity of the situation and the surreal feeling of coming to terms with the fact that she was gone and in just a few hours it was up to me to make her beautiful and present her to her family (something I have never done) I just wasn’t confident that they would do our precious mumma Kath justice, in fact I was unsure how I would even go. It is very different than doing a makeup on someone who is getting ready for her wedding day or an outing.
I find it hard to express the feeling of when I started. The mortician telling me his way and I told him my ideas as he didn’t have the love factor essential in doing this beautiful woman the justice she deserves. Peter’s beautiful and strong older sister coming in to help just after I got into the mode of what I wanted to achieve and it was magical. I did her makeup and we painted her nails to match her lipstick as she wouldn’t have had it any other way (GIGGLE)
It was such a beautiful experience and I am so glad that I had the opportunity to do that for her I’m left with such peace and contentment in my heart. I know have such closure. I had the opportunity to tell her exactly what I felt about her while she was still here and then to be able to honour her by having her look so beautiful was such a gift to me.
There gratitude of my apparent strength made it all worthwhile and to know I made such a difference whilst she was in hospital and throughout leaves me feeling grate full for being involved with such an amazing family

Monday night we all had dinner about a dozen of us, we sat her picture at the end of the table where we ate, laughed and really embraced and appreciated what we have and remembered the special things about her in our own private way. I didn’t sleep well that night so many thoughts in my head my children my mum my past losses and future losses. I’m not rushing to meet disaster but considering how to just make our lives much richer and appreciate those I love so there is no misunderstanding of how much I love those closest to me. I can draw lessons from this experience and good ones.
The funeral was beautiful my favourite part was at the end all of the immediate family released a butterfly each as Some where Over the rainbow played, it was beautiful. Life is a difficult journey but death and the survivor’s transition into their next journey can mean so many different things for so many different people.
I believe it was her time to be with the loved ones already past that were waiting for her and our time with her over………………

God Bless Gracious Lady…… until we meet again.

13 Comments:

At 11:15 pm , Blogger Isabella said...

Kath is not the only gracious lady....what a beautiful, heartfelt post Shaz. I cannot put into words how it made me feel while reading this. You truly are very special. May she rest in peace.

 
At 12:13 am , Blogger Wanda said...

What a wonderful post dear Shaz. What a beautiful gracious woman. My heart was breaking yesterday as we got a call that a dear older friend of ours had a heart attack on his tractor, and fell between the wheel and blade. He was already gone when his daughter found him...so very sad to lose those we love so dearly. I'm praying for you, please pray for me today!!
Love and Hugs.

 
At 5:47 am , Blogger awareness said...

Your heartfelt words allowed me to feel like I was there with you. Your insights are stunning Shaz. Thinking of you.

ps. and a prayer for Wanda too.

 
At 6:34 am , Blogger Vickie said...

Shaz---Thank you for being the very special person you are and for sharing this beauty with us. So often people view funerals has the end but it is not at all that way and if we took the time to celebrate the person's life instead of mourning I believe our view of death would be different and we would better handle our emotions.

Having recently lost Momma B I understand first hand the importance of how we view life and death. It is so important to love the people that are important to you and let them know so there is no regrets. I can say I don't believe any of us that loved Momma B have regrets for not loving her and letting her know of our love for here while she was with us---during her sickness and her health.

Sending you very special thoughts and love.

Special thoughts and prayers for Ms. Wanda.

 
At 7:19 am , Blogger Whitesnake said...

What is it they say? We are here to celebrate the life of..........

As you are aware I have been through this just recently so if ya need a place ta vent, ya know where I am.

 
At 9:11 am , Anonymous Anonymous said...

what a beautiful post, shaz. at a loss for words, so many thoughts to put on here. hugz...poet

special prayers for wanda as well.

 
At 12:07 pm , Blogger Walker said...

This was a beautiful post.

In Greek the say Zoi Se mas , which signifies that the person who has left us gave us life and still does with her memory.
Her presence will always be with you.

 
At 1:38 pm , Blogger JP (mom) said...

Dearest Shaz,

What an exquisite post ... thank you for sharing the intimate details of helping Kath pass with such beauty and dignity.

Sending you much love ... you've been in my thoughts so much today. xx, deb

 
At 3:20 pm , Blogger Robert said...

you showed the reality of how death really is a transition shaz and can be viewed with such grace and peace when left in Gods hands and His power. Simply amazing thank you your words God uses to settle my inner volcano heaps of blessings to you sweet shaz!!

 
At 6:03 am , Blogger cherry girl said...

It's beautiful that you could do that one last thing for her, the way that you have written about all that has happened, how you and those around are feeling and interacting through this painful time is so beautifully put.

 
At 8:15 am , Blogger Yoga Gal said...

Great site!

 
At 8:14 am , Blogger sandy said...

I see I've missed so much. It's been very busy and I haven't visited all my favorite blogs. So much has gone on with you and I just want to extend some hugs in your direction. You wrote some beautiful things lately.

That last sunrise photo is absolutely breathtaking by the way.

All the best to you..and your family...

sandy

 
At 10:37 am , Blogger ::Bek Geach:: said...

You are one very precious soul Shaz.
What a gorgeous post.
I love you.
We'll talk soon honey!
Bx

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home