Monday, March 17, 2008

St Patricks Day.......Happy Birthday Mum...............

The 17th of March marks St Patricks Day a tradition of Ireland that is celebrated all of the world now.This day also marks my mums 70th Birthday I was just about to leave to go back out to her when I was talking to her on the phone and wishing her a Happy Birthday when I heard breaking news from our Prime Minister on the news. Half listening to her and him I was left speechless for a minute by the words that came out of his mouth, words my mum has been waiting to hear personally for 65 years.


HMAS Sydney Australia's war ship that was sunk in Australia's biggest maritime disaster in our history has been FOUND.
My mums Dad Edward William Franklin my grandfather was on his way back to Australia to see my mum who had Polio as a little babe. During the war it was sunk by a German ship who pretended to be a dutch ship in distress, Australia went to their aid when the Germans opened fire both ships went down and over 640 of our men died on that day with no survivors.
This Ship being found after all these years is probably the best Birthday present my mum could have ever heard. I am so happy for her and I am still heart broken by the emotions of my mums pain in loosing her dad so young (there is a certain irony in our parallel lives)
Her step father was an evil man who beat and abused my grandmother and my mum worse.
Her child hood was frightful and the nightmare she endured to heart breaking to write about.

She is a true survivor turning 70 years old knowing now that her dad is found and she will always be grateful to have seen this in her life time.

LEST WE FORGET

12 Comments:

At 1:31 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Sharon wow i didnt realise you mums dad was on the ship,how amazing for that to happen on her birthday. Happy Birthday to your mum, hope she has a wonderful day, and i hope she is feeling better.
lots of love Pete xxoo

 
At 8:56 pm , Blogger Karen said...

That is such an incredible irony for this discovery to happen on your mum's birthday. My maiden name was Franklin, wouldn't it be hilarious if we were distantly related?

I hope your mum has a wonderful birthday Shazzie and that you are not running yourself ragged. Take care sweetie.

 
At 2:27 am , Blogger Kristen said...

oh shaz! this just gave me shivers. i'm so glad for your mum - for you as well!

i've been reading but not having so much time for posting and sending you lots of positive energy, white light, and strength (to your mum as well!)

what a day for you both.

 
At 11:52 am , Blogger Wanda said...

Oh Shaz ~~ What a moving post ~~ I got shivers too. So glad that you mom can have some closure now after all these years.

Please wish her a wonderful Birthday Day from me.

Love and Hugs
Wanda

 
At 3:28 pm , Blogger Robert said...

amazing shazzie!!! Such incredible news for your mum to have on her bday!! I hope you are able to get rest amongst all the running around you have to do. i hope her bday is extra special now!! Love and light always dear lady xx

 
At 4:16 pm , Blogger JP (mom) said...

What an incredible gift on this birthday celebration of your mums ... wow, babe, amazing. Sending you peace & love, xx, JP/deb

 
At 9:23 pm , Blogger Walker said...

I guess in a way he is finally coming home.
Happy Birthday to your mum and Happy St, Patty's day

 
At 4:54 pm , Blogger Darlene said...

Happy Birthday Mum!!!

love to you,
xoxo Darlene

 
At 2:13 pm , Blogger Nan said...

I'm a bit late but happy b-day to your mum.

 
At 5:19 am , Blogger awareness said...

Shaz, is your real name Sharon? :)

Happy belated to your Momma. That's an amazing happening, and for it to happen on your Mom's birthday make it all the more special.

Happy Easter to you my friend. hope you'll be surrounded by your lovely loved ones.

 
At 1:58 pm , Blogger Walker said...

I hope all is well down there.
Happy Easter

 
At 9:38 pm , Blogger Karen said...

Just wanted to wish you and all your family a wonderful, safe and Happy Easter Shazzie. Hope your mum is doing okay and that you are taking some time to rest.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home