Friday, October 20, 2006

Conditioning

" HOW DO YOU EXPLAIN THIS "

I've been thinking today, I went to the movies and watched the "Departed".
It wasn't a bad movie I quite enjoyed it.
Then this afternoon I picked up my youngest babes best friend.
Her mum is a sweet spirtual, grounded woman whom I've just started to get to know. And I am looking forward to getting to know her better.
I dont bring new people into my life easily, but I do appreciate when I meet special like minded people who are open honest and true to Heart.
We talked and discussed movies of old and how scared we were as kids.
We both came to the realisation that our children are unperturbed at the violence in the movies of today.
The kind of films that scared the bejesus out of us doesn't affect our kids in the same way ( I sound like my mum) but any how it is true.
Our kids just by what they see on the news, Bali bombings the Iraqi war the tragedy of 9/11 is real . So when they watch a movie that has similar or scary things, they just aren't that scary.
THAT SCARES ME.
I try to be honest, I try to shelter, I try to make my children aware and cautious of every decision they make.
Its difficult to explain to an 11 year old that you cant trust or believe in the sincerity of another person without first knowing them REALLY WELL.
How do you teach Stranger Danger with out being so over the top that your child lives in fear.
As parents we manage and we do the best we can OBVIOUSLY.
Its not till your a parent that you can fully comprehend and admire the struggle and teachings of your own mum and dad.
There concerns were the same.
Every generation feels the gap between themselves and their offspring.
Every generation tends to feel their job is more difficult than their parents.
Every parent asks the same question.
WHAT IS OUR WORLD COMING TO?
Our answers are no easier or better than our parents, grandparents or their parents before them.
Our world is changing with each generation.
The question I put to you is.
Do we accept the world as it is now?
Do we allow the desensitization of our children because that's the way it is?
Or do we fight back and say this isn't a world we want to live in, we don't want this for our children, we certainly don't want this for our grandchildren.
BUT................. what do we do 1 person or several cant change the world.
Its a romantic fantasy to think that you alone can make this world a better place.
Or is it?
I would like to think that I (even if I'm alone on this) will make a difference.
I believe that if were honest and caring open and vigilant we can teach our children not to accept the way things are.
To stand up and be heard to make sure you, even if your the only one, stand by your principles and beliefs that TERRORISTS don't dictate the way we live.
That they have no place in our world today.
BELIEVE and RESPECT.....RIGHT from WRONG>
To fight for justice, not just think its up to someone else to do it for us.
Be respectful but outspoken on you beliefs.
I think if we can give our children a common but basic goal, they will work together and fight the destruction of our Planet and each other.
I think if each of us teach one of our children to work towards a goal that doesn't put money into their pockets, but be outspoken, just because its the right thing to do. And they believe it.
We will all start to unite on those common goals of peace prosperity and love of all living things.
To look forward at what their future holds for them and their children.
I believe that each person has their place in this world.
I also believe that before you die you will find that place and make it work for you and others alike. (Or I would Hope)
I want for my kids.
Not to be selfish, to consider others feelings but also to stand up and be vocal if you believe that what is happening in front of you is wrong.
To stand your ground especially if your Heart tells you your right.
I wish for my children to be honest, caring and giving young adults, who respect themselves and others always.
"That's my wish"
We all as parents do our best, just as our parents before us.
BUT....................................
In what direction are you conditioning your children towards?
Acceptance?
Defiance?
Solidarity?
Spirituality?
Love ?
Forgiveness?
Respect?
For ME all of the above.

5 Comments:

At 4:04 am , Blogger Darlene said...

Shaz ~ heavey hearted today? I agree and changing thid world does seem a bit overwhelming. But we are Mother's and someday Grandmother's and the most productive thing we can teech our children is 'Respect of Life'

Life is precious and not to be taken for granted. Our children are being desensitized by news, TV and movies, but what they learn in the home and the examples that you and I can give them will far outway the media.

Respect your elders, people in authority, your boss, your parents and life, all living things with no predjudice.

You and I won't be able to change the level of violence that is allowed, but our children's generation will, and it's our job to plant the seeds.

whew! I didn't mean to get preachy :)

Even after all that...Have a good weekend :)

kisses xoxox Darlene

 
At 8:24 am , Anonymous Anonymous said...

such a thoughtful post! i must admit that i vacillate between being an idealist and thinking i can make a difference and a pessimist who wants to watch television or go shopping. i aspire to the former. i leave you with one of my favorite quotes:

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has." ~Margaret Mead

 
At 9:06 am , Blogger Shaz said...

Darb...lol
Not Preaching I agree they will aswell, my picture was maybe a little disturbing, but thought provoking.
I have thiese moments occasionally, posativity and faith in our kids that things will change is foremost on my mind.

Ruby....Great quote !!
I do agree that we will raise children who will indeed change this wonderful world.
Thanks..... Iam waiting for new posts from you also.

 
At 4:15 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe one person can make a huge difference and impact on so many others.
Just *one* beautiful soul.
Like Nelson Mandela... or Bono.
These are two people who I admire tremendously.
And I will teach Mikaela all about the truth of Africa.
The reality of what we as a world community is neglecting to take ownership for.
I do... and I know many others who do.
And this gives me hope.
Much.
You are a wonderful soul my sweet friend.
Bx

 
At 7:44 pm , Blogger ::Bek Geach:: said...

Nice to chat with you tonight angel.
I hope Ben is feeling better now sweets.
I just spoke with my Dad too... and he thinks the world of you too.
He saw Ben working the other morning at about 5am.
Eik.
Love to you both.
((hugs))
Bx

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home