Monday, November 20, 2006

BORED

BORED........This word.......I often hear it, rarely use it or feel it for me there isn't a real use for it.

I've been contemplting this word for awhile now.............
What is it that makes us feel we have to have some sort of constant happening in our lives minute to minute and on a daily basis. What is it that we have lost in our own conscious being that we believe that this a valid feeling. Is it that we cant be doing nothing, alone or in company that makes us content. Even listening to a lecture or an advertisement It doesn't bore me I may not necessarily enjoy it but instead of saying I'm bored I tend say OK I listened or watched but I didn't like it, but that's something I learnt, so to me learning something new about yourself or what you watched or listened to gives you reference not to do that again If of course you didn't like it, I would of thought that was a good thing.
Kids..... mine are guilty of it on occasion but I try to make them look at it from a different perspective. "Mum I'm Bored" okay why would you use that word? Why wouldn't you say I cant or wont find something to occupy my time or I'm to lazy to do anything so can u find something for me to do.
There are million different ways to look at it.
Sitting on the side of the road when your cars broken down waiting for RACQ to come and fix it most would say was boring.
I would say time to myself to think of what I'm going to have to do now my cars screwed, not pleasant but it has to be done. Or wow 30 mins to myself just me no ? no interruptions peace and quiet.
I think people fall into the trap of being bored when they shut off their minds to the millions of possibilities. Looking on the optimistic side of things help. Finding the good in all situations that are thrown in your direction helps. Also being comfortable in you own space when your alone.And learning to enjoy the simple pleasures in life will have you amazed at how un-bored we all can be.
I made both my girls sit outside today for 10 mins on a chair looking into the yard and told them not talk to each other just look. First thing out of Taylas mouth was why how boring!! Ayesha the little sweet just did it.
I called them in after 10 mins and said SO.. What did you do? Ish said she watched 2 butcher birds chase a parrot and then she seen a couple of other birds that she had never seen before eating at the grass, she played with a stick and checked out the clouds and made shapes in them.
Kool, were you bored? No but why did we do it? I was just seeing if you'd be bored.
Tayla what about you? I made up a song about how bored I was and its really cool do u want to hear it. That made me laugh. So do you like your song? she said yes. So La? how was that boring if you made up a song that is kool how is that boring. It wasn't but I thought I was so I made up the song.
A common misconception and an easy out is how I feel about this word and I think I kinda proved a point to my girls as well.
So the next time your bored be optimistic and use your imagination this life is what you make it and all situations serve a purpose in some way shape or form.
Learn to enjoy your own space and Time if you are lucky enough to get it.
Or maybe really do the old cliche of stop and smell the flowers just because there there and they are beautiful.
Bless yourself with enjoying these every moment no matter how insignificant it seems life is precious and joyous and it is sometimes tough, painful and overwhelming but none the less a Blessing.

Health and Peace
P.S I Hope I didn't Bore You (giggle)

7 Comments:

At 4:59 am , Blogger sandy said...

Very interesting post to read and so true. I've been guilty of using that word many times when I'm not in the "zone"...and when I am more in the moment, it would never occur to me to use it, as I'm too busy watching what is occurring around me...some events being very mundane probably to most people but I can spend hours watching "movement" of some kind.

Really enjoyed reading this and sure hope your day is filled with comfort, peace and being in the moment with what you are doing.

dd

 
At 6:32 am , Blogger Deb R said...

I'm with you on this one! I don't have a lot of patience with people who whine about being bored. If they're bored they need to do something else. If we're in a situation where we can't physically do something else, we can mentally do something else - make up stories in our mind, sing to ourselves, whatever! My dad never let us get away with saying "I'm bored" and I guess that stuck with me.

 
At 10:46 am , Blogger ::Bek Geach:: said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE you.
I dislike this word BORED so much too.
Your bored??? Excuse me? HOW CAN YOU BE BORED?
There is so much to do in life.
REST. RELAX. PLAY. CREATE.
LOVE.
As always... you are rockin' my world with this post. Love it.
LOVE YOU!
((hugs))
Bx

 
At 11:26 am , Blogger Shaz said...

Bx I so knew youd hate this word as much as me lol.
What I didnt know is that there are more people who think the same love that. now I could go on and on and on and on and on and on but that would be boring. (smile)
have a great day ALL

 
At 12:15 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for helping me stay rooted in every moment...xo

 
At 12:35 pm , Blogger JP (mom) said...

What a wonderful post, Shaz. I loved the line I think people fall into the trap of being bored when they shut off their minds to the millions of possibilities. Turning potential boredom in to an opportunity for reflection or creativity is a tremendous gift we can give ourselves. much peace, JP

 
At 10:12 am , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Goodness, what a wonderful post, and a fresh and positive perspective. I will never ever think of the word "bored" again the same way.

And you are absolutely right, we do indeed need to think about the positive side of things. Perhaps then, we won't be so full of anxiety all of the time. ;-)

xoxoxoxo to you sweet Shaz

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home