Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Rambles of LoVe and TraGedy

I have been feeling a little displaced and vulnerable today. It has nothing to do with my treatment. I am pretty sure it has a lot to do with grief and not my own.
I feel things a little intensely sometimes. It may sound strange but if you know what I mean then you will know how hard it is to explain. I tend to be affected by peoples pain whether its physical or of the heart. The tragedy in Virginia has broken my heart. I feel the pain of these families as if they were my own. I see the looks of horror on the faces of them when they hear of their loss and feel as their world is shattered by the loss of someone they Love. I see them clutch their chest and drop to their knees in the worst moments of their lives. It is just such a waste and it is devastating for our world as a whole.
I have been like this all my life. Sometimes I know before, other times in the moment and other times later, either way its distracting. Some would say I have a gift others would say a burden.
I call it ME no category no explanation or excuse, just me. When I am often overcome with feelings that I cant control, that aren't my own, I surround myself in my own happy memories and pray for those I cant help. I did that this morning after I watched the news. I sat with my prize possession which sounds funny considering the state of it. This suitcase was what I left home with when I was 13, that and my KISS Army bag (LMAO would never leave home with out it) Anyway this is the one I kept above all others and it now holds letters, pictures, newspaper clippings of me and Danica's chemical poisoning through her school when she was in grade 3. Pictures of my mums wedding and all the certificates of my kids when they were younger along with notes and drawings that warm my heart.
The girls had the day off school as I missed them way to much while they were away and the way I was feeling I needed them close so we sat and laughed and recalled all those little things you only remember when your memory is triggered by a picture or a familiar smell. We hugged and talked and overall had a good day.
Just below is my first photo with Ayesha after she was born. She was the last of my babies before being diagnosed with cancer when I turned 25 and Ish was only 6 months old. That was not what I expected during a routine exam but there is a lot to say for routine checks ladies I can't stress that enough.
I feel so blessed to have had four beautiful babies before I had the hysterectomy to eradicate the cancer thus obviously preventing me from more kids in the future.
I love this photo and even though these pics were taken with my camera of them, they are still precious and no less than perfect to me. I remember looking at her and admiring my precious gift wondering how I could stop there. I wanted at least 6 kids but I am so lucky to have what I have and I cherish every moment. UMmmm when I am not cursing and cracking a mental over their messy rooms. (I am human after all)
That was 12 years ago and today is the very first time that I noticed the scar down the right side of my face in this particular photo. (that seems strange to me I was always aware back then)
I only noticed it today when Tayla actually asked for the first time how it happened and I promised I would tell her one day.
Its more of dent really where my facial bones were cracked (another story) blah blah but you know nothing could take away from me and my precious bundle of joy. I had no idea at the time she would be my last. My children saved my life and made me love living. I love them more than this life and there is nothing I wouldn't do for them (including tough love) which is the hardest of all. I also believe that it takes a lot of love and courage to do whats right for your kids even if they don't get it at the time. I feel very protective of them and it annoys the shit out of them but I do not care they are too precious to take any chances. Its also a constant struggle because you always can ever only do what you think is right at the time and I think if you do it with unselfish Love there can't be any wrong decisions. That's my theory any way.

These are the two little bundles that joined me in my reminiscing today and they really are just as cute and mischievous as they were then. The make me laugh with their wit and make me smile with their sarcasm (its a little funny) and I cry when I feel their compassion for others. I think I am most proud of that quality in all of my kids. They really do have an inner quality that is displayed towards others that has me beaming at being able to say that they are a part of me.

I received a wedding invitation today from this young lady sitting on my lap (6 years ago) Thera-Lea is my name sake and she is my God daughter. I love her as if she were my own and she is getting married in June. Thera is nearly a year older than Danicka and it blows my mind to think that only 3 weeks ago she had her second little girl and is about to marry the man of her dreams. He spoils her and their two babies and I cant wait for the wedding. It will be beautiful. I am relieved I didn't get her labour pains this time but I did with her first, I knew she was in labour before her mum did and I lived an hour away breathing deeply tellin her to hurry bloody up and it happened with both my sistas as well. Give me a break all ready :)

I have filled my day with old memories phone conversations with my dear Bx whom I adore. Missed another call from my sweet sista in the US 2 days running GRrrrr and shopped with my girls for girlie things. Considering the start, it turned out really well. This is what made me happy today.

It is now after every one's asleep that I will thank god for what I have and Pray for healing of the souls who have lost loved ones through tragedy.

Peace and Health To All XXXX

15 Comments:

At 3:21 am , Blogger Wanda said...

Yeah...I get to be the frist one to tell you how much I love your post and reading your life stories.

The picture of you and your baby, brought back memories of my own dear babies (4) and the love and bonding of holding them close.

I love the "suitcase" pictures too.

My heart breaks for those families at Vir. Tech. I join you with many prayers of comfort and healing.

 
At 4:43 am , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Honey, this is an amazingly beautiful post. Your children sound amazing, and yes, they are indeed an extention of you...so it does not surprise me that they are who they are.

You are so radiant in that photogrphay of you and your sweet baby girl....

What a wonderful day you had; I wish for many many more of these days for you and your amazing heart.

Love you.
xoxoxoxo

 
At 12:27 pm , Blogger Kristen said...

that was a beautiful post. i'm so glad you got to have a special day of loving and remembering. the pictures are wonderful and more. i was so glad that i could click the first photo to see all the pieces in your special suitcase.

there's so much bad going on in the world, it's SO good to remember the GOOOOD things. your children sound amazing. i hope that i do as well with mine.

 
At 2:35 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh shaz, beautiful post, beautiful pictures, beautiful you! i know what you mean about feeling things very deeply -- often people DON'T understand being that emotionally sensitive...but it serves us well in some situations, don't you think?
xoxo, ~ruby

 
At 2:38 pm , Blogger Walker said...

Great post so much feeling.

If any good come s from tragedy its that it makes you grab your kids and hold them tight knowing how lucky you are having them close to you and safe.

The world is gone to hell but we can make our little piece of it at hiome a loving one

Have a nice day

 
At 9:46 pm , Blogger Harmony said...

Hi Shaz,

Just wanted to say how much I enjoyed reading your lovely post. If there were more people like you in the world it would surely be a wonderful place. With all the tragedies and difficulties you have had in your life (and I probably only know the tip of the iceberg)you still manage to see the beauty and magic in the simple things. I admire you more and more every day.

PS I hope to be back on my blog soon, I'm getting better, just so damn tired.

 
At 12:21 pm , Blogger bee said...

i feel spoiled by all the beautiful stories in this post...it got to settle in and taste your words...lovely. just lovely.

shaz, i love how sensitive you are. it is one of the joys of you. and you are such a wonderful mother...

 
At 4:54 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I sure enjoyed this post and seeing the pictures of the younger you with your babies, and the contents of that suitcase. How pretty you were, then and now.

Once again let me say I really really really enjoyed this..

sandy

 
At 11:32 pm , Blogger BlazngScarlet said...

Damnit Shaz ... It's difficult to type with tears running down my face!

What a beautiful post.
Lovely woman, lovely children.

Have I told you how much you inspire me? Well, you do.
In so many ways ....

 
At 1:49 am , Blogger Left-handed Trees... said...

Such a heartfelt post...
Love,
D.

 
At 6:04 am , Blogger Nan said...

This is so beautifully written. I can just feel the love you have for your children.

 
At 7:00 am , Blogger Vanessa said...

You never cease to amaze me, momma lovely. You amaze me but, for some reason, you don't surprise me. I mean all of these things are so essentially YOU. Feeling the pain of others so vividly, experiencing the labour pains of your loved ones... loving so deeply and living so fully...
mmmmm you are yummy
Vx

 
At 9:32 am , Blogger Steve said...

You said thank god...

You can thank me later.....

I have other stuff to do...

I have run out of tissues for starters.

 
At 4:21 am , Blogger Claire said...

Oh my sweetie, this post was gorgoeus. I can almost feeling the love flowing through it. What a blessing.

Cxx

 
At 1:24 pm , Blogger JP (mom) said...

FINALLY we connected. It is always such a gift to speak with you. My thoughts echo the others who have commented ... wonderful, beautiful post ... you are an amazing mother and fantastic woman. I'm blessed to have you in my life. xx, JP

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home