Friday, April 20, 2007

One of my comforts

Camp Oven: It has my dinner in it..........Yummy roast.
You can take the gal out of the country, but you cant take the country outa the gal.
I miss camping horses and the bush.

I try not to anticipate or bring negativity to Fridays (injection day) its just as they were always a struggle before with side effects and what not. I must admit I have been blessed the last couple of weeks to not even have anything significant to say about it. Yesterday was a little different not with anticipation but in it didn't go as well as it has been. I had the chills and sweats, shaking, headaches and I felt as though I had been hit by a truck. Today is better and I have made it through reasonably unscathed, other than my head aching and being a little off which is really good considering, so I am grateful its not as bad as in the past.

I am trying to keep busy and get back to the things I love, gardening with herbs and veges pot plants and reading a good book in the fresh air, listening to the birds and enjoying the out doors. I have been couped up inside far too long.

As a kid I was labeled a tom boy (probably with good reason) I loved trucks, bikes, camping, fishing, surfing, music, dancing and horses. I could go from playing football to dance class to packing my back pack for an early start to go fishing the next morning. I was my dad's little girl with a love of boy things.
I grew up in a small town after leaving my Nan's and my dad organised a lot of team sports for the boys and men in town, social clubs, cricket and footy teams and rallies, so bush bashin cars and burnouts and playing footy with the boys was so me.
I loved it and still do. I have always been a kid to be outside kicking the footy, riding horses and having camp fires or at the beach and on the water. Hence the need for a fire and the flavour of a roast cooked in the camp oven when I am wanting some comfort.
I love good restaurants occasionally but seriously a BBQ and outdoor cooking with friends and family is so me. Ugg boots and a rum or a cold beer with a blazing fire in winter is awesome.
I cant drink rum or eer at the moment or probably much at all ever again and well its not that cold yet, so I don't need the uggies but I cant wait any longer for a camp oven roast. Lyndell had one with the girls over Easter so I just had to have one seeing camping isn't on the cards in the near future.
There is a little prep but it just means starting a mean ass fire about 3 hours before you want to cook, putting your lamb roast or whatever, in the camp oven with fresh herbs, stock and some secret ingredients lol then when the logs are burnt to hot coals you put your oven amongst the coals and let it roast for a couple of hours. The final product is an amazingly tender piece of meat cooked in its own juices with a special smoky flavour. I spent maybe 5 years being a vego and I still don't eat a lot of meat but camp oven roast is the best and I will never give that up. Anyway I am going to check it now do some veges (well B will do the veges as I am back on the mattress) its hard work building a mean ass fire I even chopped the wood gathered the kindling and stoked that sucker till it was just right (now I'm stuffed) but its well worth it trust me and I will only check the coals are still happening.

Have a great weekend everyone.

Peace and Health To All XXXX

14 Comments:

At 11:51 pm , Blogger Harmony said...

Girl, my mouth is watering at the sound of that roast lamb....mmmmmm I can almost taste it.

One day when I get up there to see you, PLEASE can be have a camp oven roast??????

 
At 12:24 am , Blogger Vanessa said...

wow, looks sounds and (almost) smells amazing!!!
en.joy!
Vx

 
At 1:51 am , Blogger Wanda said...

Shaz....mmmm I can smell that roast!

My dad use to take us camping and I remember one time he wrapped potatoes in foil and then red clay mud and stuck them in the coals.....Yummy!

You have a great weekend too.

 
At 6:21 am , Blogger Shaz said...

Karen.... its a done deal Honey.

V..... the smell is awesome and I can testify today it was yummo.

Wanda we do that aswell it makes the best potatoes.

Love Shaz xxxx

Ps. I cant leave a message on my own blog whats going on? 3rd try

 
At 10:41 am , Blogger Walker said...

Nothing like a good campout meal.
I went to a Huni last year in NZ and the food was fantastic.
They almost needed a crain to get me back on the bus LOL.

Have a great weekend and enjoythe meal :)

 
At 11:00 am , Blogger Shaz said...

Oh yeh love em, Walker have one planned for september if your free?

 
At 3:40 pm , Blogger JP (mom) said...

I hope that roast was as delicious as you anticipated dear countrygirl.
((((hugs soul sistah))), deb

 
At 5:02 pm , Blogger awareness said...

That sounds YUMMY! And, I will give it a whirl this summer on the beach in Nova Scotia, which is where we have our much anticipated summer beach suppers......

I too was a "tom-boy"........ :)

 
At 5:33 pm , Blogger Shaz said...

Deb roast was as good as I thought yummy.
Dana my fave is cooking it at the beach.

 
At 12:17 pm , Blogger Steve said...

Bloody typical roast on and NO friggin invite!!!!

Hope ya forgot the gravy!
Nah!

 
At 2:07 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gravy was amazing made from scratch. I dont do gravy mix....nah

Shaz

 
At 1:26 am , Blogger BlazngScarlet said...

Mmmm ..... that roast sounds so YUMMY!

My mouth is watering!

 
At 7:38 pm , Blogger ::Bek Geach:: said...

I wish I were there.
(hugs) and love to you and your clan.
Bx

 
At 6:58 am , Blogger sandy said...

Love the picture and your musings and here you say

****


I am trying to keep busy and get back to the things I love, gardening with herbs and veges pot plants and reading a good book in the fresh air, listening to the birds and enjoying the out doors. I have been couped up inside far too long.

*****

Now this is healing!! Hope you have time to do this.

sandy

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home