Tuesday, April 24, 2007

ANZAC

ANZAC DAY: Our Australian Heros who fought for our Freedom.


Total casualties of the Gallipoli Campaign
Approximate allied casualties . . . 250,000 (incl. French forces)
Approximate allied deaths . . . 50,000
Turkish casualties . . . over 300,000
The suffering of the wounded was terrible and the facilities for
dealing with them were hopelessly inadequate. Death came in
horrible ways. Men were killed in action, sniped or shelled. Some
died of wounds, dysentery or disease, others were drowned or
died of exposure. Men were both burned and frozen to death.
I have taken my children to the dawn service nearly every year of their lives to show respect for those who have fallen for the lives my children now lead.
My deepest respect.


7 Comments:

At 9:09 pm , Blogger Unknown said...

Hi, I like your blog.
Please visit http://vanishreerajamarthandan.blogspot.com/ and leave comment if you are interested in link exchange.
Thanks :)

 
At 12:24 am , Blogger Wanda said...

Wow, Shaz, I didn't know about Anzac Day. Thank you for sharing. I really love the photograph...His eyes say so much.
I add my respects.

 
At 3:28 am , Blogger Karen said...

It's a shame so many had to die and fight for freedoms. I have the deepest respect for anyone who has fought for such causes. Beautiful tribute.

 
At 7:40 am , Blogger Nan said...

Tthank you for sharing that bit of history with us. I had no idea.

 
At 11:41 am , Blogger JP (mom) said...

A reverant tribute ... my deepest respect as well. hugs, deb

 
At 3:31 pm , Blogger Walker said...

WW1 was an ugly wart and the Aussies paid dearly for it at Galipoli.
I have been reading many blogs about ANZAC Day and have learned alot as I have from your post.
It's days like this that reminds us what the price of freedom is worth and we should remember those that paid it for all of us.

Great post

 
At 3:06 am , Blogger Claire said...

Thanks for reminding me hon.

Lest we forget.

Cxx

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home