Thursday, June 14, 2007

Thoughts at 1am.........Look out

Tonight I had a nearly 3 hour conversation my sista gal Deb. We talk at least once a week and considering I am not big on phones we never run out of things to say. I love this about her there are no boundaries no miss-communication no tip toeing around subjects nothing is off limits. There are though, lots of respect lots of understanding and lots of love and support and more laughter than I can handle sometimes.I feel we cover such a wide variety of subjects that my mind is still on fast forward long after the receiver is down. It’s not so for her, as when she is talking to me I am one day ahead and 7 hours behind. So my 4pm Wednesday in the arvo is her 11pm Tuesday night. Anyway today we discussed the generational differences between adolescents of today compared to our mothers or grand mothers and how its harder now than ever. (Some heavy shit comes up in our conversations hey?)
It was sparked by comments made to me by my daughter and by a friend Deb’s.
I have used a computer and been on the net only 7 years I still have friends who are unable to turn on a computer especially stay at home mums there kids on the other hand, it is second nature all though not to my 20 year old so go figure. My 12 year old helps me Sshhhhh.
It is more wide spread now than 7 years ago but I know there are parents out there of some teenagers who do not have a clue what there kids are doing on the computer or the net.
All though it’s a great tool and it has opened the world up to endless possibilities but does the freedom of speech and the means to research anything hurting rather than helping some. The internet has no boundries for those who now there way around.
Each generation when they are young usually listen to their parents repeat the same words they always swore they wouldn’t repeat when they heard them.
When I was your age Blah Blah Blah. I still pull myself up and look back at my past and the vision of my Mum throwing her hands in the air saying what’s wrong with the kids today in my day things were simple. We went to school we did our chores if we were lucky we played with our friends and maybe had a bag of lollies, we walked everywhere and their weren't any phones or computers or drugs and we were fine. Bored how can you be bored?
My mum had a tortureous child hood and I am surprised she was able to handle things as well as she did but thats another story.
Different groups clothes and cultures all with different influences and our parents saying they don’t understand the youth of today. The 50's 60's70's and now into the mellenium my how things have changed. Now I find myself with 4 kids of varying ages whom I would say have had no real trauma or hardship compared to some. I would have to say that most people I have spoken to have concurred that our parents complained there parents complained and they mostly thought each had it easier than the generation before.
I don’t believe that of this generation, even compared to 5 years ago when my eldest was in High School teenagers dealt with different issues no where near as bad as now. I had a pretty tough time from the age of 12 but think my kids have it harder dealing with a new problem a different problem.
We have a fad, a generation of an emotionally solemn group called emos, we also have kids that are doing disturbing things other than drugs and getting pregnant at a young age.
Times are tough and are this generation of parents too busy? Are some of us over protective?
Are some of them in the dark? What’s going on? Are we a generation of parents switched on to our kids? Or are all generations playing catch up and will this continue? I say no, I refuse to be absent from my kids from my grand kids.The things that face our kids now are scary to me. I know our parents were scared and thee parents were scared, the sheep and follower’s mentality scares me, the need for drama the need for obscurity from the norm and a need to be a part of a new culture, a need to express a so called individuality. Most are not individual they are part of the pack they wear the same clothes listen to the same music cut their hair in a particular way and dwell on being sad and depressed. The fashion industry cashes in on it, really bad bands cash in on really bad music, the same hair styles. There are web sites on how to be emo and related sites on depression like a two step program and they dream of dying.
Some but not all of this culture have turned to the new emotional release that they say is better than drugs and it is needless to say very disturbing the new rage and what my kids are witnessing in their school is CUTTERS. These kids can come from a variety of back grounds not just bad. Some are closet cutters some are very open and enjoy it being known that they cut as it is cool (to them) They say there have been cutters through many generations some have been miss diagnosed as suicide attempts. I do believe it is one of two things a cry for help or an attempt at manipulation and attention. Either way scary stuff, some do it to be like the others, some do it to dwell on there own self demise and don’t tell anyone.The scariest part of this whole thing is we the parents NOW it was rare in the past now it is not, it is abnormal to us but normal now to my teenager, her words are they all do it mum, she is not a cutter and not an emo she is not a follower but a true individual. She is as surprised as me by the sheer velocity of kids playing out this ritual. It is openly out there words carved into these kids’ arms legs and stomachs for all to see (for some) my question then is what are there parents thinking surely you cant miss it?
You are buying the clothes for one, you are paying for the hair cut and the black dye you allow your kids to spend hours alone in their room or with like minded kids and accept they are only kids sowing their individual personality, are you kidding me.
Where the hell is your head?? My 14 year old daughter who has not been sheltered from the ways of the world and the news and the not so nice side of life thinks this is strange why they don’t is beyond me. I would be asking some damn serious questions about the word death being carved into the back of my Childs leg. I would not buy these clothes or let my blonde haired teenager dye her hair black and then let them be alone on the internet to look up suicide how to web sites. I would know, you would notice the change and not accept it as teenage transition. Wouldn't you? The other problem is those who cut and only share with a select few and hide their wounds are the truly troubled or are they attention seekers also?
What are the questions being asked by these parents because I can’t work it out?
I worry about my kids I restrict their lifestyle and teach them values morals right from wrong acceptable and not. I just assumed that most of these parents would also, but no apparently not. I do believe the majority do and I am not here to bag out parents of emos or cutters or any other particular so called group but I am disturbed.
I have sat and had lengthy conversations about other kids with my girls not a select few but generalised about this girl they know or this boy they know that I don’t. The stories I hear are just blowing my mind,we dont take time out to talkand make a group discussion that is planned we just talk daily about their day. Some of these kids are from wealthy families the so called well respected two parent homes without any real worries or do they?
Can they legitimise this kind of behaviour?
Is it genetically programmed into some kids?
Is it environmental?
Is it from trauma or lack of something?
Is it physiological that some kids are drawn in certain directions and others not.
Too many questions not enough answers as far as I am concerned.
I just feel extra blessed tonight that my children are not into this new phase or fad. I am glad I am not a part of these enabling families ignoring this generational blackout. I am glad that my normal is still my children’s normal and that generation gap has not hit my home to that extent.
I feel blessed that my kids discuss good and bad behaviour with me and that they aren’t afraid to talk to me about anything and that is there words.
They tell me they think there lucky. What more could a mumma want than for her kids to feel lucky without any monitory value in their minds.
They feel blessed to have a mum however sick annoying, weird, loud and embarrassing she may be.
They feel blessed to have a dad not their biological father in their lives, who adores them, even if he yells sometimes, is sarcastic and tells them off if they are doing the wrong thing.
They feel blessed for what they have to eat each night.
They feel blessed to have warm clothes in winter and blankets. My kids see life as a gift not a given. I am proud to say the least and its funny I thought we were the strange ones.
What will be the next generation’s pain?
Will this be a passing phase or how far will this go?

10 Comments:

At 6:29 am , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, this is scary stuff. Up until a few years ago, I did not even know what "emo" was, really. I saw references to it, but honestly thought that it was today's kids trying to recreate the punk/goth scene of 20+ years ago. Apparently, it goes much deeper than that.

Your children sound absolutely amazing honey. That is a testiment to your mothering of them, as well as to who they inherently are. It is so wonderful to hear that they continue to talk to you and share with you, because that open communication is so important, especially at the age they are now. (well, your two who are still home :-))

What a beautiful friendship you and Deb share. It makes me smile so wide, because one of the most positive side-effect to this whole internet world is the relationhips we are able to find and cultivate. Without this internet, we would never know these people who have become such an amazing part of our existance...even though they are are on another continent. It's magical.

I wish you peace and love honey...as always.

xoxoxoxo

 
At 6:30 am , Blogger awareness said...

wow.......you have raised big issues and questions here!! Who the hell knows where the parents are.

My daughter seems to be befriending a lost soul boy in her class who is spilling his story to her whenever his "too cool" friends aren't around, and it's a sad one. Not only am I glad she's telling me all about this kid so I can keep a distant eye on him without her knowing, but more importantly it has offered she and I a chance to talk about many familial issues.....stuff that may not have any relevance to her if she couldn't relate. I hope, hope, hope both my kids keep talking openly with me and my husband.....but sometimes it comes down to the choices our kids make too on their own.

its such a crapshoot sometimes, isn't it? My husband and I try to instill key values....what's yours is mine.....always look out for others....give back to the community....nothing is more important than kindness....and we do see that are children are empathic...

It comes out in the school stories we hear at the dinner table....always it is a story or an update about friends or classmates which comes out first....a guess what so and so did? Or, I'm worried about so and so....... and you know what Shaz? I am SO grateful to hear these stories!!!

NOW.....the line that got me the most was your description....."however sick annoying, weird, loud, and embarrassing she may be...." Hey that's me TOO!!

great post....

ps....i love the internet...

 
At 8:57 am , Blogger Wanda said...

Dear Sweet Shaz; You hit the nail on the head so many times in this post. It's bad out there...I see what you are talking about even in our small community...the cutting, etc. Breaks my heart. But I will stand firm, I will be a grandma of influence even if its not popular, my views and morals and Biblical Convictions...but I'm determined..the World is not getting my grandchildren...that's why I write to them, call them, pray for them, tell them nothing can shock me....and Thank Heavens,
sometime they listen. If more parents and grandparents could just "live it by example" instead of preaching it!...

OK, I'm down off my soap box...Honey you hit a nerve. Great post ////that's why we want you to always hit publish!!!!
Love and Hugs

 
At 2:21 pm , Blogger Walker said...

Are things tougher now than way back when we were their age and our parents were our age?
Nah, I don’t think so.
They are different yes but the struggle is still there.

My parents grew up in rural Greece and had to endure WWII, a civil war, and other political BS.
They didn’t go to school; school was survival.
They farmed and that’s all they needed to know and that’s how they lived until they came here and learned something else.
Today’s kids don’t have to go out there to learn how to farm but they still have to work at learning what they want to do.
They starve until they get a job that pays then enough to pay all their bills and save a little bit.
It looks tougher to us because it’s new to us, as what we or our parents did, would look hard to our kids today but they would learn to do it.

As for computers and how much people know, I think it comes down to how interested you are in learning.
Some a little some a lot and some don’t care.
I think everyone should know how to use a computer, at least the fundamental part of it and I think parents should always know what their kids are into, if not to keep them safe then to be able to understand what the hell they are saying to you.

Times change but the song stays the same, it just has a different beat.

Great post
I could have kept writing and writing my comment you touched so much.

As parents we will worry as they will when they get to where we are.

Have a nice day

 
At 2:59 pm , Blogger Kristen said...

::runs screaming from the computer::

okay...i'm back...but seriously, this is the stuff that scares the ever loving SHIT out of me! i'm truly trying to raise my children as individuals. i LOVE the things that irene wears - non matching pinks, polkadots with stripes and/or plaids, etc. i don't want that to change. i don't want her to care what everyone else is doing...

i'm so so worried about the future. cutting has been happening (and getting some press - i'm sure it's been happening a WHOLE hell of a lot longer) where i used to live (and probably here too) for at least 5 years - maybe longer. it's all scary. and the emo stuff? i'd never heard of it.

ugh.

it's hard to be a mama. it's hard to be a kid.

 
At 3:20 pm , Blogger Steve said...

Love ya Girl!

 
At 8:01 pm , Blogger Harmony said...

Wow Shaz, I must be living in a cave. The first time I heard of emo's was when you mentioned it in another post and as for cutters, that's new to me too. Maybe my kids just haven't got to the age yet where I have to learn all about this stuff.

I'm already worrying about when they are older and start going out to night clubs....pills, drinks getting spiked, date rape....it gives me chills. So far they seem to have their heads screwed on right and I hope that never changes with the passing of time.

 
At 2:13 am , Blogger sandy said...

Wow, I just know some of this stuff, just the other day I learned about Emo...from my youngest who said it was just starting when he was in school...how strange and how painful for so many of othese kids. And to think, just when you think you are done worrying about teenagers, you have little grandkids that will some day grow up and deal with all this stuff...

 
At 3:39 am , Blogger BlazngScarlet said...

20 years ago they were called Goths, and Emo's are very similar, but not quite the same.
Maybe it's because of where I grew up, but these things are not new to me. They were around when I was in high school, along with a VERY high teen suicide rate and satanists.
I'm 38, so it's not like this problem has just cropped up, it's just taken this damn long for the press to write anything about it!
Oh, and 20 years to travel across the pond as well.


Either way, it's scary.
I'm so happy to have a good relationship with my son. He's told me about a few of the kids at school who are embracing the Emo culture.

 
At 12:13 am , Blogger JP (mom) said...

I'm so glad you wrote about this sweet sistah. I've been thinking about it since we spoke (but haven't had a minute for blogging ... pfft). You articulated this SO well ... what is going on in our collective cultures? What are the parents doing? What are the children feeling? Like you, I'm so grateful that three of my children are healthy and feel blessed by where they're at and what they have. I still pray for my B that he will find that path as well.
Much peace & love to you. xx, deb

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home